Busy midtown Toronto mapping software company, producer of the award winning Avenza Maps app, requires an experienced web application developer to join our team. The Avenza Maps app is an offline map viewer with a broad feature set appealing to both casual users, mapping geeks and industry professionals. Maps are available through the app’s digital mobile map store, an iTunes-like store for maps. The app is used daily by tens of thousands of users all over the world, including pilots, forest rangers, military personnel, hikers and more, to help people play, work, navigate and even save lives when off-the-grid
As a Full Stack Developer at Avenza you will:
- Diagnose and resolve functional and performance issues in our web applications and services.
- Maintain and continually improve our extensive suite of unit tests.
- Participate in reviews of your own and team members code through GitLab.
- Participate in daily scrum meetings. Communicate progress and issues with your team members.
- Work with our product management and design teams to define and document requirements for new features and applications.
- Help our QA team define new and improve existing test plans. Advise them on strategies for automated integration testing.
- Deploy software updates and resolve system issues on Heroku and Amazon AWS hosted servers in coordination with our IT team.
- Help our accounting and marketing teams get the information they need by running complex queries of our SQL database.
- Investigate relevant emerging technologies and processes. Make recommendations as to how we may use them to improve our own systems.
If you are an experienced web developer looking for new challenges and exciting new products to work on, come join a growing team of versatile engineers at our newly renovated office located on the Yonge subway line.
More about us:
We offer full benefits, a fun and flexible work environment, and innovative web and GIS technologies to work with. We are passionate about our products and take pride in creating software used by thousands of GIS professionals and millions of users all over the world. We value communication and collaboration and practice agile software development methods, always striving to improve as a team, and as a company. We offer flexible hours and a certain degree of telecommuting if required.
- 3+ years professional software development experience
- Experience with either Python / Django or a similar web development framework such as Rails, LAMP, MEAN, PHP, Node.js and an interest in learning Python and Django
- Strong understanding of object oriented design and functional programming
- Comfortable with HTML5 and CSS
Nice To Have:
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Experience with Heroku and AWS
- Front end design skills and/or experience with responsive web design
- Exposure to GIS (Geographic Information Systems) technology
- Exposure to native iOS and Android mobile app development
- Please apply via this website or by email (jobs AT avenza.com) only, citing Full Stack Developer as the position and the reference #170228FSD
- strictly no recruiters / consulting inquiries. This is a full-time position